Medically Dependent Children Program



Home and community-based services and supports to families caring for a medically dependent child in their home who is less than 21 years of age. These services may include adaptive aids, adjunct support services (such as those that support independent living, participation in child care and participation in post-secondary education), financial management services, minor home modifications, respite and transition assistance services.

What services are provided?

  • • Adaptive aids — items necessary to treat, rehabilitate, prevent or compensate for conditions resulting in disability or loss of function. Adaptive aids also may be devices enabling a person to perform the activities of daily living or control the environment in which they live.
  • • Adjunct supports — individualized and disability-related services, including personal care supports for basic activities of daily living (ADL), instrumental ADL, skilled care and delegated care supports, to:
    • – assist a child to participate in child care;
    • – assist a person to participate in post-secondary education; or
    • – increase a person’s independence.
  • • Minor home modifications — necessary physical modifications of a person’s home to prevent institutionalization or support de-institutionalization. The modifications must be necessary to ensure health, welfare and safety or to enable greater independence in the home.
  • • Financial management services — assistance delivered by a consumer directed services agency.
  • • Respite services — temporary relief for the primary caregiver from their caregiving role during times when the caregiver would normally provide care.
  • • Transition assistance services — a one-time service to help Medicaid-eligible Texans transition from the nursing home to the community.

Who can get services?

  • • You must be under 21. If under 18, you must live with an adult family member (such as a parent, guardian or sibling) or with a foster family that includes no more than four children unrelated to you.
  • • You must be a U.S. citizen or an alien with approved status who lives in Texas.
  • • You must meet Medicaid eligibility guidelines including:
    • – be a low-income family with children, as provided in §1931 of the Social Security Act;
    • – be receiving Supplemental Security Income;
    • – be eligible for Medical Assistance Only; or
    • – meet eligibility for all other mandatory and optional Temporary Assistance for Needy Families criteria in the Texas Medicaid State Plan.
  • • You must meet the medical necessity determination for nursing home care.
  • • You cannot be enrolled in another waiver program.

How do I apply for services?

Call 1-877-438-5658 to get on the interest list.