Personal Assistant Services

what is PAS


Accepted Insurances

Medicaid, Amerigroup, Superior, Molina, United Health, VA, & AAA
*Insurance may vary by location

Don't Qualify for Medicaid ?

Private Pay & Long Term Care Insurance could be an option

How to know if you qualify

Call the number on the back of you Medicaid card (Member Services). Once you get through to a caseworker or insurance representative, Let the representive know you are interested in receiving provider services/caregiver services in your home.
  • Traditional Medicaid through HHSC – 1-800-925-9126
  • Superior Medicaid-1-866-896-1844
  • UHC Medicaid- 1-800-964-2777
  • Amerigroup Medicaid-1-877-870-4197
  • AAA- Call your AAA office in your location or email: [email protected]
  • VA- The contact number varies. Call the number on the back of your VA card. 
  • Family Care- 1-800-925-9126 – This is based on If the client has none of the insurances we talked about, then they might qualify – There is no guarantee that they will qualify.
The insurance representive will conduct an assessment to see if you qualify for any services.
  • Self Pay- does not require insurance application. Call your local Caprock Home Health office for more information

What your assistant can do for you

PAS can help carry out your activities of daily living. Depending on the individual, such activities might include getting up and ready for work, bathing, dressing, cooking, cleaning, or running errands.

we are part of the family,
all the way through.


To submit a referral please provide the requested information below.